Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane combines superior durability and the warm look of traditional polyurethane with the convenience of a water-based finish.
- Lower in odour than traditional solvent-based polyurethanes
- Protects and adds beauty to interior wood surfaces including woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets and floors
- Dries quickly
- Cleans up easily with warm water
|Sheens:||Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Satin|
|Application Tool:||Synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, or lambswool applicator|
|Location:||Interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||After 2 hours|
|Dry Time:||24 hours before light use|
|Coverage:||14m2 per 946ml|
|Recommended Uses:||Woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets, floors|
- Surface must be dry and free of old finishes in poor condition, paint, wax, grease, polish, dirt or other foreign matter.
- Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Do not use steel wool. Remove all sanding dust. Thoroughly wipe clean with a damp cloth. Allow to dry completely.
- If desired, apply Minwax™ Wood Finish™ to bare wood following all label directions. Wait 8 hours before applying Water Based Polyurethane over stain.
- Stir Minwax™ Water Based Polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling on the bottom of the can. Stir in such a manner as to rotate the product from the bottom to the top of the can. NEVER SHAKE.
- Apply a THIN coat of Water Based Polyurethane using a high quality synthetic bristle brush or foam brush.
- Let dry 2 hours. Then lightly sand entire surface with fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion. Remove all dust.
- Apply a second coat. Water Based Polyurethane requires a third coat - repeat step 6 before application.
- After final coat, allow 24 hours before light use.
When used on wood floors, use a lambswool or synthetic pad applicator and maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks. For maximum durability, three coats are required. Avoid heavy traffic and replacing of furniture for 72 hours after the final coat. When replacing furniture, do not slide. Do not install rugs or clean floors for 7 days.
CLEANUP: Clean application tools with warm water immediately after use.
COVERAGE: Approximately 14m2 per 946ml
Storage Store at room temperature. Keep from freezing.
Note: Above dry times and coverage rates are based on good ventilation, temperature of 25°C and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperature, higher humidity, lack of ventilation or application of thick coats will extend dry time. Always test tackiness between coats. Do not sand or re-coat when surface is tacky. Slight ambering may be experienced when polyurethane is applied over light-coloured wood surfaces. Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results. For light-coloured wood surfaces, we recommend protecting with Minwax™ Polycrylic™ Protective Finish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I use Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane?
Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is ideal for use on all interior bare or stained wood surfaces including furniture, cabinets, doors and floors. It can be applied over oil-based stains like Minwax™ Wood Finish™ . It also can be applied over Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain wood tones, provided the stain has dried completely.
Can I mix Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane with Minwax™ Fast-Drying Polyurethane?
No. The oil-based and water-based products are not compatible and they should not be mixed together. However, the results are the same—a beautiful, durable finish!
Can I apply Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane over Fast-Drying Polyurethane or vice versa?
Yes. The two products can be applied over each other as long as the first has fully cured. Follow the directions for the product you are using. Be sure to apply each coat with only one product. Do not finish part of a surface with one topcoat and part with the other as this could result in a uneven appearance across the surface of the wood.