Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain is a fast and easy way to add beautiful colour to unfinished wood. It comes in 50 traditional wood tones and contemporary decorative colours.
- Soap and water clean up.
- For beautiful results, use with Minwax™ Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.
- Colours are mixed at the paint counter of most home centers and hardware stores.
- NOT RECOMMENDED FOR LARGE SURFACES, SUCH AS FLOORS.
|Application Tool:||Synthetic bristle brush, cloth, foam brush, staining pad or rag|
|Location:||Interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||After 2 hours|
|Dry Time:||3 hours|
|Cleanup:||Soap and water|
|Coverage:||14m2 per 946ml|
|Coats:||1 coat. For richer and darker colour, additional coats may be applied.|
|Recommended Uses:||Wood furniture, cabinets, doors, trim, molding and accessories|
NOTE: Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON FLOORS.
- Surface must be dry, clean, and free of dirt, grease, glue and any existing coatings before staining.
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain, first using medium-grade sandpaper (#120) working your way to fine-grade sandpaper (#220). Do NOT use steel wool. Remove all sanding dust.
- Apply Minwax™ Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner and allow to penetrate 1-5 minutes. This will help ensure even stain colour penetration and reduce grain raising on soft and hard woods. Remove excess with a clean cloth.
- For best results, wait 15-30 minutes before lightly sanding the surface with a fine-grade sandpaper. This will help smooth any raised grain. Remove all sanding dust.
Product Preparation and Colour Testing:
- Stir the stain thoroughly before and occasionally during use. Do not apply when temperature is below 13°C. Do not thin.
- Always test stain on a scrap piece or hidden area of wood to verify desired colour.
- When working with more than one can, we recommend mixing together the contents of the cans to ensure colour consistency.
- Apply stain with a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, staining pad or rag. Then, allow stain to penetrate no longer than 3 minutes.
- Remove stain that has not penetrated the wood with a clean cloth. Wipe in the direction of the grain using light to medium pressure to achieve even stain colour.
- Note: For best results, do not allow cloth to become saturated with stain. Replace with a clean cloth as necessary. DO NOT ALLOW STAIN THAT HAS NOT PENETRATED THE WOOD TO DRY ON THE WOOD SURFACE.
- Note: Any uneven colour penetration can be blended. Rewet the surface with more stain and lightly rub the stain into the surface, blending light and dark areas.
- To darken colour, apply a second coat after 2 hours, repeating directions for application of first coat. Do not sand between coats.
Clear Finish Application:
- After a minimum of 3 hours (dry time may be extended due to heavy application, low temperatures or high humidity), complete your project by applying a clear protective finish such as Minwax™ Polycrylic™ Protective Finish or Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
Note: Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane will amber slightly and may change the final look of the stain. Spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
COVERAGE: Approximately 14m2 per 946ml.
CLEANUP: Use soap and warm water.
The colours shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired colour.
The following colours are made with Clear Tint Base
The following colours are made with White Tint Base
White Wash Pickling Stain
Soft, subtle finish that adds just a wash of white colour, while allowing the wood grain to show through.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the advantage to using a water-based stain?
Water-based stains dry quickly and clean up with soap and water. Projects can often be completed in one day.
Will Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain raise the grain of the wood?
As long as Minwax™ Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner is used prior to staining, Water Based Wood Stain will not raise the wood grain.
How long should Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain be left on wood?
Water-based stain dries very quickly. It should be allowed to penetrate no more than three minutes before wiping away the excess.
Should Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain be used on floors?
No. Water-based stains dry very quickly, making them difficult to apply evenly over large surfaces. For very large areas such as floors, we recommend an oil-based product such as Minwax™ Wood Finish™ stain.
What is a tint base?
Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain comes in two tint bases—Clear Tint Base and White Tint Base—that are used to make 50 different stain colours. A tint base is brought to the paint counter at the home center or hardware store for colour mixing, similar to the way paint is mixed.
What is White Wash Pickling Stain?
It is a Water Based Wood Stain that adds a subtle shade of white colour to wood while allowing the natural grain to show through. Unlike the Clear and White Tint Bases, the White Wash Pickling Stain does not require mixing and is ready to use right out of the can.
Which clear protective topcoat should be used over Minwax™ Water Based Wood Stain?
We recommend Minwax™ Polycrylic™ Protective Finish for a crystal-clear topcoat that will not alter the appearance of the stain colours. For a warmer, slightly amber finish over wood tones, Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is recommended.