Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler is ideal for repairing cracks, small gouges, nail holes, knot holes and other defects in all types of unfinished indoor and outdoor wood surfaces.
- Stainable Wood Filler is specially formulated to accept Minwax™ penetrating wood stains.
- It is designed for use with oil-based and water-based wood stains.
- For interior & exterior use.
- Securely holds screws & nails
- Resists shrinking & cracking
|Application Tool:||Putty knife|
|Dry Time:||2-6 hours, depending on size of area filled|
|Cleanup:||Soap and water|
|Recommended Uses:||For filling cracks, small gouges, nail holes, knot holes and other defects in unfinished wood|
|Stain Application:||As soon as wood filler has dried and is sanded|
- Surface must be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, oil and loose particles. This product should not be used on holes larger than 1.9cm.
- Squeeze a liberal amount of Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler into the area to be filled and press firmly in place using a putty knife. Fill slightly above surface to allow for sanding while minimizing overspreading on surrounding areas.
- Remove excess.
- Allow the filler to dry completely. Dry time will vary depending on depth of area to be filled. Most common shallow repairs will dry within 2 hours. For deeper holes, fill in layers 0.6cm at a time, which may require 2-6 hours to dry.
- Sand filler smooth and flush to the wood.
- Remove all sanding residue before staining, top coating or painting.
CLEANUP: soap and water
Note: Not recommended for use with Minwax™ PolyShades™ one-step stain and finish.
Not recommended for use on floors.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of stain does Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler accept?
Can Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler be top-coated?
Yes. Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler has been designed to work within the Minwax™ system. It can be top-coated with any Minwax™ protective clear finish, including Minwax™ Fast-Drying Polyurethane and Minwax™ Polycrylic™ Protective Finish. It also can be painted.
Can Stainable Wood Filler be used with a one-step stain and finish, such as Minwax™ PolyShades™?
No, it is not recommended for use with Minwax™ PolyShades™.
Can I use Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler on hardwood floors?
No, it is not recommended.
Can Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler be used outside?
Absolutely. Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler can be used on exterior wood surfaces.
Can Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler be used on previously stained wood?
While not ideal, it can be done. It may be difficult to match the colour to the surrounding area.
Can a nail or screw be put in the repaired area?
Yes, Stainable Wood Filler dries to a hard, strong consistency that securely holds nails and screws.
How is Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler different from Minwax™ Wood Putty™?
Minwax™ Wood Putty™ is designed to fill minor surface imperfections in finished wood. It comes in ten colours to match Minwax™ Wood Finish™ stains and it does not harden. Stainable Wood Filler is designed to fill nail holes, cracks, small gouges and other defects in unfinished wood. It does not come pre-coloured. It readily accepts any Minwax™ stain and, once stained, will match the surrounding wood.
Material Safety Data Sheet
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Disguise Nail Holes
Small holes in bare or unfinished wood can be filled with Minwax™ Stainable Wood Filler. Holes in finished wood should be filled with Minwax™ Wood Putty, which comes in several popular colours.
Make Repairs Look Natural
To duplicate the grain pattern of real wood, let Stainable Wood Filler harden, sand it smooth, then use the tip of a utility knife to score tiny lines in it before you apply your stain.