Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors is a clear, oil-based, durable, protective finish specifically formulated for use on hardwood floors.
- Superior durability for hardwood floors
- Optimized drying technology results in faster recoat time between coats
- No sanding required between coats
- Advanced anti-settling formula ensures less stirring and fewer highs and lows across large surfaces, resulting in an even sheen
|Sheens:||Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Satin|
|Application Tool:||Lambswool or synthetic pad applicator, or a natural bristle brush|
|Location:||Interior wood floors|
|Recoat:||After 3-4 hours|
|Dry Time:||12-18 hours for light foot traffic; 72 hours to replace furniture|
|Cleanup:||Mineral spirits or paint thinner|
|Coverage:||Approximately 60m2 per 3.78L|
|Recommended Uses:||Hardwood floors|
- Sand floor as appropriate for the type of floor finishing project. Carefully follow label directions and the directions for the sander that you are using.
- Remove all dust, then thoroughly wipe the floor with a clean cloth dampened with mineral spirits and allow to dry.
- Before use, stir Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors to rotate the product from the bottom to the top of the can. You will not need to stir again if the project will be completed in one day.
- Apply a thin coat using a lambswool or synthetic pad applicator, or a natural bristle brush. Maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks.
- Let dry at least 3-4 hours until film is no longer tacky to the touch. If allowed to dry for more than 12 hours, sand lightly with 220 grit sandpaper, then wipe floor with a cloth moistened with mineral spirits to remove all dust.
- Apply a second coat of Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors following steps 4 and 5.
- If the floor was not stained, apply a third coat of Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors following steps 4 and 5.
Floor will accommodate light foot traffic 12-18 hours after the final coat of Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors. Avoid heavy traffic and do not replace furniture for 72 hours after the final coat of Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors. When replacing furniture, do not slide. Do not install rugs or clean floors for 7 days to allow finish to cure properly.
CLEANUP: For easy clean-up, use mineral spirits or paint thinner.
COVERAGE: Approximately 60m2 per 3.78L
Note: Above dry times are based on good ventilation, temperature of 25°C and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperature, higher humidity, lack of air movement or application of thick coats will extend drying times. Always test surface for tackiness between coats. Do not re-coat when surface is tacky. Slight ambering may be experienced when polyurethane is applied over light-coloured wood surfaces. Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
NOTE: The product may appear slightly dark or purple in the can, but it dries clear.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors and Minwax™ Fast-Drying Polyurethane?
Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors is a durable protective finish specifically formulated for use on hardwood floors. Its professional formula provides superior durability. Its optimized drying technology provides a 25% faster recoat time than regular polyurethanes, and does not require sanding between coats. It applies more easily than regular polyurethane on floor surface, with an advanced anti-settling formula that needs less stirring and has fewer "highs and lows", resulting in an even sheen across the floor surface.
Should Polyurethane for Floors be sanded between coats?
While not necessary, Polyurethane for Floors can be sanded between coats for maximum smoothness. Allow the finish to dry 4-6 hours before sanding. A light sanding between coats is necessary only if Polyurethane for Floors has been allowed to dry for 12 hours or more.
Can Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors be used over Minwax™ stains?
Yes, Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors has been formulated to work within the Minwax™ system. For staining floors, we recommend Minwax™ Wood Finish™ Stain.
Can Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors be used with Minwax™ Professional Formula Sanding Sealer?
Yes, it can. First the Minwax™ Professional Formula Sanding Sealer should be applied according to label directions. After the Minwax™ Professional Formula Sanding Sealer has dried it must be sanded. Then Polyurethane for Floors can be applied.
Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors looks darker than Minwax™ Fast-Drying Polyurethane does in the can. Will this colour be the colour that ends up on the floor?
The darker colour in the can is caused by certain key ingredients that give Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors a faster dry-time and better dispersed flattener. These special ingredients impart a darker colour to the product in the can but do not impact the product's colour on the floor.
Do floors that have been power sanded require special treatment?
If a floor has been freshly sanded with a power floor sander, it may absorb more finish than a piece of wood lightly sanded by hand. Because of this, plus the wear a floor usually takes, three coats of Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors are often needed.