Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly is a durable, clear finish that combines polyurethane protection with classic, hand-rubbed beauty.
- Applied with a cloth – no need to worry about drips and brush marks.
- Great for furniture, railings and trim.
|Application Tool:||Lint-free cloth|
|Location:||Interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||After 2-3 hours|
|Dry Time:||24 hours before normal use|
|Cleanup:||Mineral spirits or paint thinner|
|Coverage:||14m2 per 946ml|
|Recommended Uses:||Furniture, cabinets, woodwork, trim, doors; small floor touch-ups (scratches)|
- Surface must be dry and free of old finishes in poor condition, wax, grease, polish, dirt or other foreign matter.
- Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Remove all dust with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits.
- If desired, apply stain, such as Minwax™ Wood Finish™, following the label directions for application instructions and dry times.
- Shake Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly container thoroughly before use.
- Put a liberal amount of Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly on a clean, soft, lint-free cloth and rub into the wood.
- Allow to dry at least 2-3 hours. Sand entire surface lightly with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) or fine steel wool. Remove all sanding dust.
- Apply a second coat in the same manner as the first. If a third coat is desired, repeat Step 6 before application.
- Allow final coat to dry 24 hours before normal use.
CLEANUP: For easy cleanup, use mineral spirits or paint thinner.
COVERAGE: Approximately 14m2 per 946ml
Floors: Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly may be used to touch up small scratches on floors. Apply carefully as gloss level may not be identical to the existing floor finish.
Note: Above dry times and coverage rates are based on good ventilation, temperature of 25°C and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperature, higher humidity, lack of ventilation or application of thick coats will extend dry time. Slight ambering may be experienced when Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly is applied over light-coloured wood surfaces. Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results. For light-coloured wood surfaces, we recommend protecting with Minwax™ Polycrylic™ Protective Finish..
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the benefit of using Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly versus a traditional polyurethane?
Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly is easily applied with a cloth, without any drips or brush marks. It is the perfect choice for furniture, interior doors, trim and other woodwork.
Can I use Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly on floors?
Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly provides a durable layer of topcoat protection but it is thinner than regular polyurethanes. It can be used on floors to touch up small areas that are worn or scratched. For new floors or floors that need to be refinished, Minwax™ Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Minwax™ Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors should be used.
Can Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly be applied over Minwax™ Wood Finish™ or other stains?
Yes. Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly is a great way to protect finished or unfinished wood. Be sure to allow wood that has been stained to dry completely before topcoating with Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly.
Should Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly be sanded between coats?
Yes. A light sanding with very fine sandpaper (#220) or fine steel wool will remove any fine particles of dust that may have settled on the finish while it was wet. Allow Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly to dry 2-3 hours before applying the next coat. If a third coat is desired, repeat the same procedure.