Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly is a durable, clear finish that combines polyurethane protection with classic, hand-rubbed beauty.
- Applied with a cloth – no need to worry about drips and brush marks.
- Great for furniture, railings and trim.
- Easy water clean-up
|Application Tool:||Lint-free cloth|
|Location:||Interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||After 2-3 hours|
|Dry Time:||24 hours before normal use|
|Coverage:||14m2 per 946ml|
|Recommended Uses:||Furniture, cabinets, woodwork, trim, doors; small floor touch-ups (scratches)|
- Surface must be dry and free of old finishes in poor condition, paint, wax, grease, polish, dirt or other foreign matter.
- Sand to obtain a smooth uniform surface. Do not use steel wool. Remove all dust with a damp cloth.
- If desired, apply stain, such as Minwax™ Wood Finish™, following the label directions.
- Shake Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly container well.
- Put liberal amount Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly on a clean, soft, lint-free cloth and rub into the wood.
- Allow to dry at least 2-3 hours. Sand entire surface lightly with fine sandpaper (220 grit). Remove all sanding dust.
- Apply a second coat in the same manner as the first. A third coat is recommended. Repeat Step 6 before application.
- Allow final coat to dry 24 hours before normal use.
Floors: Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly may be used to touch up small scratches on floors. Apply carefully as gloss level may not be identical to existing floor finish.
Note: Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly is not recommended for general use on floors. To protect floors, use Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
CLEANUP: For easy cleanup, use warm water.
COVERAGE: Approximately 12m2 per 946ml
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the benefit of using Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly versus a traditional polyurethane?
Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly is easily applied with a cloth, without any drips or brush marks. It is the perfect choice for furniture, interior doors, trim and other woodwork. Because it's water based it dries quickly and cleans up easily with warm water.
Can Water Based Wipe-On Poly be used on floors?
Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly provides a durable layer of protection but it is thinner than regular polyurethanes. It can be used on floors to touch up small areas that are worn or scratched. For new floors or floors that need to be refinished, use Minwax™ Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
Can Water Based Wipe-On Poly be applied over Minwax™ Wood Finish™ or other stains?
Yes. Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly is a great way to protect stained wood. Be sure to allow the stain to dry completely before top coating with Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly.
Should Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly be sanded between coats?
Yes. A light sanding with very fine sandpaper (#220) will remove any fine particles of dust that may have settled on the finish while it was wet. Since steel wool and water can cause rust, steel wool should be avoided around all water-based wood finishing products. Simply put, don't use it.
Can I apply Minwax™ Water Based Wipe-On Poly over the traditional Minwax™ Wipe-On Poly oil-based finish or vice versa?
Yes. The two products can be applied over each other as long as the first has fully cured. Follow the directions for the product you are using. Be sure to apply each coat with only one product. Do not finish part of a surface with one topcoat and part with the other as this could result in an uneven appearance across the surface of the wood.