Minwax™ Helmsman™ Teak Oil protects dense woods and enhances wood grain by penetrating into wood pores, restoring the wood's natural warmth and richness.
- Apply periodically to refresh your dense woods and help protect them from UV rays.
- Minwax™ Helmsman™ Teak oil is recommended for outdoor and indoor wood furniture, and marine surfaces above the water line.
|Application Tool:||Brush or cloth|
|Dry Time:||6-8 hours|
|Cleanup:||Mineral spirits or paint thinner according to manufacturer's safety recommendations|
|Coverage:||11-14m2 per 946ml|
|Recommended Uses:||Outdoor and indoor wood furniture and wood surfaces above the water line|
|Exterior:||Interior/Exterior Clear Protection|
- Surface must be dry and free of old finishes such as varnish, paint, polish, wax, grease, dirt, and subsurface moisture.
- If desired, sand to obtain smooth, uniform surface.
- Lightly shake container for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Brush or wipe on a generous amount of Helmsman™ Teak Oil.
- Allow Helmsman™ Teak Oil to penetrate into wood for 5 – 10 minutes. Do not wipe off any excess.
- Apply a second coat and leave on for an additional 15 – 20 minutes. (Do not leave product on wood in excess of 30 minutes total.)
- Wipe surface completely dry.
- Ready for use in 6 – 8 hours.
CLEANUP: Use mineral spirits or paint thinner following manufacturer's safety recommendations.
COVERAGE: Approximately 11-14m2 per 946ml
STORAGE: Store at room temperature.
MAINTENANCE: Periodically reapply Helmsman™ Teak Oil to dry, worn out wood in order to restore the effectiveness of the finish.
NOTE: Above dry times and coverage rates are based on good ventilation, temperature of 25°C and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperature, higher humidity, lack of ventilation will extend dry times. Always spot test on inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
Frequently Asked Questions
What surfaces is Helmsman™ Teak Oil recommended for?
Helmsman™ Teak Oil is great for indoor and outdoor furniture made from hardwoods and on marine wood surfaces above the waterline.
Can I apply Helmsman™ Teak Oil to wood floors or outdoor decks?
No. Helmsman™ Teak Oil is not recommended for wood floors or outdoor decks. Helmsman™Teak Oil protects dense woods from moisture and UV rays by penetrating into the wood pores. Helmsman™ Teak Oil does not create a protective film on wood surfaces such as Minwax™ Fast-Drying Polyurethane which is recommended for wood floors. For outdoor decks try Minwax™ Decking Oil.
Does Helmsman™ Teak Oil contain UV inhibitors?
Yes, Helmsman™ Teak Oil does contain UV protection to delay the sun from graying the wood over time.
Should Helmsman™ Teak Oil be applied repeatedly?
Yes. Helmsman™ Teak Oil should be reapplied whenever the wood appears to be dry or worn out in order to restore the effectiveness of the finish.
Material Safety Data Sheet
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Keep Your Outdoor Wood Beautiful
To maintain the rich colour of your outdoor woods, be sure to apply Minwax™ Helmsman™ Teak Oil periodically. During application, place each chair or table leg on a plastic lid or saucer to catch any extra product.
It's Better in the Shade
Don't work in direct sunlight, as the warmth of the sun can cause the oil to begin to harden before it has had time to soak deeply into the wood.