A superior blend of oils and resins, specifically designed to enhance and protect hardwood decking penetrating the wood to replace natural oils lost over time due to weathering.
Minwax™ Decking Oil protects the wood from the graying effect of UV rays as well as forming a waterproofing barrier to prevent water damage and discolouration. The long lasting durable finish resists scuff marks and the slightly tinted finish fully enhances the beauty of the timber.
|Application Tool:||Exterior paint pad, brush, or roller|
|Recoat:||2 – 6 hours|
|Dry Time:||2 hours (under normal conditions)|
|Cleanup:||Mineral spirits or paint thinner|
|Coverage:||12-15m2 per 3.78L|
|Recommended Uses:||Hardwood decking, fences, pergolas, garden furniture, exterior timber. Do not use on: Interior floors|
Always test an unobtrusive area before starting general application to ensure desired result is achieved.
Decking timber should be free from dust, dirt, oil, mildew stains, algae and other contaminants. For best results, clean surface with Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener before application and allow to dry thoroughly. All previous coatings must be completely removed before applying Minwax™ Decking Oil.
- Do not apply in wet conditions or if rain or frost is likely before the product is dry.
- Shake Minwax™ Decking Oil thoroughly before pouring the entire contents into a suitable metal or plastic container. Stir before and during use. Do not dilute. If using more than one tin mix together prior to use.
- Apply a 'flood' coating using a good quality brush or roller.
- Apply a second coat following the same method. Allow 6 hours between coats.
Important: Decking boards should be completely dry before application (number of coats required will depend on timber type and absorbency).
Decking treated with Minwax™ Decking Oil can be cleaned using Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener. The coating should be inspected on a 6 monthly basis. Re-coat as appropriate.
COVERAGE: approximately 12-15m2 per 3.78L. Coverage will vary with absorbency of timber and profile of deck.
DRY TIMES: Minwax™ Decking Oil can be recoated in 6 hours. The deck will be ready for general use after 24 hours. Drying time will vary depending on climate conditions and porosity of the timber.
CLEANUP: Mineral spirits or paint thinner.
The colours shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired colour.
Frequently Asked Questions
How important is it to properly clean your deck before applying a decking oil?
Proper surface preparation is necessary for the best Decking Oil application and performance. All exterior woods should be cleaned before sealing to remove old decking oils or stains from dirt, mildew or algae. Even new timber can have an invisible mill glaze that needs to be removed.
What is the best cleaner for my timber?
Minwax offers three different cleaners to meet your specific needs.
- Minwax™ Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner restores timber's natural colour and beauty while removing weathered stains and stains from dirt, mildew, mould and algae.
- Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener is specially formulated for exterior timber, especially hardwoods. It will restore timber's natural colour and beauty while removing stains from dirt, mildew, mould and algae. This product can also be used after using other cleaners to neutralize timber prone to the discolouration (tannin bleed/stains).
- Minwax™ Deck Stripper removes Stains and Oils from decking and timber while restoring the natural colour and beauty of the timber and remove stains from dirt, mildew, mould and algae.
What is the best way to apply the decking oil?
Use a good quality brush or roller to apply the decking oil. Stir the container before and during use. Apply the decking oil in the direction of the grain of the timbers making sure to achieve an even coat. Two coats are recommended (number of coats required will depend on timber type and absorbency) so wait 6 hours or until the timbers are dry before applying the second coat. Do not apply in wet conditions or if rain or frost is likely before the product is dry. The deck will be ready for general use after 24 hours.
How should I maintain my deck?
Decking treated with Minwax™ Decking Oil can be cleaned using Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener. The coating should be inspected every 6 months. Re-coat as appropriate.