Cleans all wood types but is specially formulated for redwood, cedar, mahogany and other highly extractive woods. While many cleaners can darken these woods, Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener actually helps restore their natural colour and beauty. Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener also acts as a neutralizing agent after using some cleaners.
- Restores wood's natural colour and beauty
- Removes tannin bleed/stains & rust
- Removes mill glaze on new wood
- Removes dirt, mildew, algae & fungus stains
- Ready to use – Cleans & revives in minutes.
|Application Tool:||A pump-up sprayer, or use a plastic bucket with a synthetic bristle brush or roller|
|Dry Time:||Wait 2-3 days, depending on weather conditions, for the wood to dry thoroughly before applying a Minwax™ Decking Oil or Stain.|
|Cleanup:||Soap and water|
|Coverage:||46-48m2 per 3.78L depending on the condition and porosity of the wood|
|Recommended Uses:||Decks & fences, garden furniture, exterior timber.|
Before You Begin
- Use in well-ventilated area and only as directed.
- A trial patch is recommended before starting. Test on an inconspicuous area before applying to entire surface.
- DO NOT MIX WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCTS, especially those containing chlorine or bleach (sodium hypochlorite).
- Avoid spraying on windy days.
- Prior to spraying, close all windows and doors within area in which you are working.
- Remove all deck furniture and decorative items that could come in contact with Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener. Do not allow product to come in contact with painted or finished surfaces that you do not intend to restore.
- Saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water prior to application. Then cover all plants and shrubs to protect them from overspray. Uncover promptly after use.
- Wear a long-sleeved shirt, pants, eye protection and rubber gloves. Do not allow Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener to come in prolonged contact with clothing, carpet or fabric, as damage may occur.
- Remove any loose dirt and debris from wood. If wood is extremely dry or in direct hot sunlight, wet with water.
- Plan the application: for horizontal surfaces, work backwards so you do not walk on the surface being treated. For vertical surfaces, work from the bottom up. Treat small areas at a time.
- Exercise caution when working on wet surfaces, as they tend to be slippery.
- Add contents of container to a plastic bucket or plastic pump-up sprayer. Do not use a metal container.
- For ease of application, apply Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener with a pump-up sprayer, or use a synthetic bristle brush or roller.
- Apply to no more than 5-10 boards (2m2) at a time to maintain adequate surface wetness and allow best results. Immediately and thoroughly rinse any overspray or accidental spills with water.
- Allow Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener to remain on wood for 10-15 minutes. For best results, lightly scrub surface with a stiff, synthetic bristle brush. Do not let Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener completely dry during application.
- Thoroughly rinse the surface with a garden hose or pressure washer, removing all residue. After rinsing the surface, be sure to saturate the ground around plants and shrubs with fresh water.
- Stubborn stains or missed areas may need to be scrubbed with additional Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener and rinsed again.
DRYING: Wait 2-3 days, depending on weather conditions, for the wood to dry thoroughly before applying a Minwax™ Decking Oil or Stain.
COVERAGE: approximately 46-48m2 per 3.78L depending on the condition and porosity of the wood.
CLEANUP: soap and warm water.
Material Safety Data Sheet
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Apply Minwax™ Deck Cleaner & Brightener with a pump-up sprayer or pour content into a plastic bucket and use a synthetic bristle brush or roller to scrub deck.
For horizontal surfaces, work backwards so that you do not walk on the surface being treated. For vertical surfaces, work from the bottom up. Treat small areas at a time.